Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Poetry Response to a Gift

Ode to the Caged Bird, a Necklace from a Friend
by Rose Shelor
Longing for freedom, hope, prayers,
Captured in a few twists of wire,
A dove of peace, of hope,
Contained dreams.
I know why the caged bird sings. . . 
A token of friendship, kindness
Words almost never said
Echoed in every smile,
Every phrase.
A bird that stalks down his narrow cage. . . 
The expectation, the dreams
Of futures together, of long evening chats
By crackling fireside, with dogs at feet,
Tea in hand.
So he opens his throat to sing. . .
Two players at the piano bench,
Curls flowing down around shoulders,
Fingers curved at black-and-white epiphany,
Harmony.
For the caged bird sings of freedom.
This bird-in-cage pendant was given to me by a dear friend this past week. It is such a cute piece as a unique statement jewelry. And it is just that, a statement. I wrote this poem in response to the gift, in response to Maya Angelou’s I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
The poem is about our relationship, our common interests, our shared dreams, and spending time together while discussing literature, music, and art. Sometimes, mere prose can not describe something not intended for it, so I returned to poetry. 
If my friend who made this necklace is reading this, thank you. I hope poetry can describe my gratitude for your friendship. 




No comments: