Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A Green Ruche Beret

So I finished that Ruche Beret in record time. I think I worked on it for about three days. It’s a well-written pattern, and I’m excited to have learned how to pleat in knitting. Part of the obsession was that the color breaks in the yarn gave me manageable goals. I wasn’t just knitting eight inches of plain stockinette but watching a symphonic harmony in green slide through my fingers. This ruche beret coordinates with the green scarflette I posted on here about previously, so now I have an entire green set. Wearing hand-knits is a great way to ward off the winter chill and have fun with different textures and colors.
I definitely plan to be knitting more green yarn, my current favorite color, and definitely plan to make another Ruche Beret. However, I intend to put more pleats into any future hats so that the headband is a little snugger. The Ruche Beret pattern was written by Susan B. Anderson, who wrote her own books called "Itty-Bitty Toys" and "Itty-Bitty Nursery." I have always enjoyed her designs; there are clear instructions with little details that pull the design together. 

Slouchy berets seem to me to be the most wearable hats; you stick them on, over a bundle of hair or not, and they frame your face without you fidgeting with them. What's your favorite type of hat? Do you prefer a hat or scarf to frame your face? 

Happy Knitting!





No comments: