Pages

Friday, July 6, 2012

Baby Knits! (more In Threes cardigans)

I have now completed three In Threes baby cardigans and started a fourth. Yesterday, I was riding in the car home to North Carolina from Rhode Island for 14 hours! I knit until it got too dark to see and knit a “In Threes” cardigan from cast-on to everything minus the last two rows. I think from the time I wasn't checking road signs, exits, etc., I knit for about 10-12 hours. It is an amazing pattern that quickly becomes intuitive and easy to do while copiloting. This morning I bound off, sewed in my ends, and sewed the three buttons on. This would be a perfect pattern to teach basic increasing to beginning knitters, button holes, and casting off. 




For the sweater I left with my aunt, I made a matching hat. I knit 1.5-2 inches in garter stitch (in the round), and then knit until it measured about 5 inches total in length and then gradually decreased. It was very interesting to see how the self-striping yarn changed so much in the hat compared to the sweater. The sweater "pooled" a bit, but to me, that was okay and even interesting how there was a side that had more blue, and the other had more brown. 
When I was at Joanne Fabrics with my aunt choosing buttons for the In Threes baby sweater I was knitting for her, I found these adorable sailboat buttons. What sweeter momento could I have than sailboat buttons from the Ocean State? They looked close enough to the second In Threes sweater I had started, so I took the chance and got them. 




They matched perfectly! The sweater is knit from a swingy, 100% bamboo tape that feels perfect for summer, beach knitting and wearing. 
I also finished several baby projects I had, mainly using stripes to incorporate those little balls too small to use for an entire hat, but too big to toss. 



I also finished sewing on the arms and legs for another Wrap-Me-Up Puppy. The blanket for the puppy was crocheted from the same purple as the hat above, so I'm thinking they might become a gift set. 


Have you had more time to knit this summer? Are there any projects you've been working on? Please comment below!

No comments: