Pages

Monday, July 30, 2012

Vacation and Gift Knitting

I went on vacation to the beach this past week to Oak Island, NC. It's absolutely beautiful! Besides boogie boarding, swimming in the ocean, and getting sunburned with my siblings, I sat on the beach knitting, mostly gift knits.

I knit a baby boy sweater from the pattern In Threes, that I knit many times last vacation. I was having trouble matching buttons to it, until I realized that it really isn't a "true blue" but is a beautiful tonal of purple and bluey-greens which as a whole, looks "blue." I found a set of pale green buttons that match; I have to find a thread to attach them with and then it will be finished.



I knit two hats from the book "New England Knits" by Cecily Glowik MacDonald and Melissa LaBarre. The pattern is the Brattleboro Hat, designed by Melissa LaBarre. The first hat I knit in a hand-dyed yarn in a colorway called "Autumn Leaves" from my cousin, from Greenberry House, http://blog.greenberryhouse.com. The two leather buttons are from my maternal grandmother's button collection.



The second hat I knit from Malabrigo Rios, in the same yarn for the baby sweater. For some reason, it looks more blue than the other ball even though they were from the same dye lot. Perhaps the pattern changed which colors ended up next to each other. The two buttons are also from my grandmother's collection.




I also knit a basic stockinette hat with a garter stitch brim. It's long enough to keep the wearer's ears nice and toasty.



And finally, a quick shot of two of my models. Somehow, they were a whole lot happier without winter wool hats in the July heat. :)


No comments: