Pages

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Crafting, Moving, and Decluttering :)


These past two weeks have been a bit of a whirlwind for me. I decluttered and packed everything, I moved in with a friend and her family (she has the cutest little kids), reduced my crafting boxes to a bag of fabric and this little box, and went to the park and the Museum of Life and Science with the kids. 






My favorite part of the Musem of Life and Science was the butterfly house. Aren't they beautiful?




My friend has a dog (Charlie), a golden retriever/chow mix, who is a lot of fun. He just wants attention and his really sweet. 




Before I moved out from home, I made a lot of progress on a quilt I was making with purple and green scraps from all the other purple and green quilts and sewing projects I have done. It was enjoyable to go back through each fabric and remember what I used it for. My mom always thought I was crazy for saving all those bits and bobs of fabrics, so I finally decided to do something with it. I don't currently have my own machine, though, so the quilt is just going to have to hang out and wait for a while to get finished. 




I've reduced my crafting piles to this little box which I found at Target a few weeks ago. It's perfect for organizing the different pieces I have: buttons, stamp and ink pad, stationary, favorite knitting needles, and two balls of yarn. 


You knitters will probably think I'm crazy, but as part of my cleaning out, I threw away almost an entire cabled sweater that I had been working on for two years. I had a back, one completed side of the front, and most of the second front. The pieces weren't going together, it was no longer something I could see myself wearing, my gauge (tightness of knitting) had changed throughout the years I'd been working on it, and it was starting to be a source of frustration and guilt that I had let it sit in the back of the closet for so long. It was really freeing to tear it off my needles and toss the whole thing in the garbage, swatch, pattern, and everything. 

I donated to Dorcas an entire sack of yarn that just wasn't my favorite and I didn't have huge aspirations for. It was mentally freeing to de-clutter and stop saving all the yarn and glassware that I was saving. I had this idea that I was saving it for my future house, but I realized saving it all indefinitely was not feasible. I kept my favorite things from my grandmothers, but donated the rest. It was time to de-clutter and it was great!



 

(before)

 

(after)


I also got a haircut at a fun, artsy place in downtown Durham called Rock Paper Scissors, http://rpssalondurham.com, on East Chapel Hill Street. I hadn't ever been to an artsy place to get my hair cut before, so it was a good, new experience.



One of my sweet friends from college, Martha, drove over to visit me today and we went to Blend Cafe (http://blendthecafe.com) on East Main Street. I would highly recommend this cafe. I had a great roast beef sandwich and some amazing decaf coffee (and not many people make great decaf). It is located in the Golden Belt building next to the Scrap Exchange and several art studios and a hair salon called Moshi Moshi. It is a great area to go exploring. 

I hope you all are doing well. Happy Thursday!

No comments: