Pages

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Blogging Advice

Last year, my parents bought me this lovely book, How to Make Money from Etsy by Timothy Adam, for my birthday. While I have not opened an Etsy shop, nor made any significant amount of money from my crafting, I reopened this book to get inspired.


And it is amazing. It has plenty of great practical advice on how to upload pictures, write accurate descriptions, and attract customers. My favorite part, however, is the section about blogging. 

Timothy Adam interviews several different top bloggers, including Bonnie Forkner at goinghometoroost.com, Jaime Derringer at design-milk.com, Erin Loechner at designformankind.com, Mallory Whitfield at missmalaprop.com, among several others. It was great to get to hear their thoughts on blogging, creativity, and how to create an interesting, attractive blog. One of my favorite questions that Adam asked his interviewees was "where do you see your blog in 10 years?" 

Favorite answer: "Ten years? Oh man, that's an eternity in blog years. My gut reaction is 'on the moon.'" (Grace Bonney from Design*Sponge). 

The brief summary of their recommendations was to write a craft tutorial, post a photo log of a recent trip, instruction for a DIY project, and share what inspires you. 

After reading this chapter, I really want to grow in my blogging skills and in creating a blog that you, my lovely readers, want to read and enjoy. Please comment if there is something specific that you would like to see on my blog! I'd love your input.

Happy August!

No comments: